Get informed here. Stay informed with our Newsletter.

Importing Japanese Used Cars Into Trinidad & Tobago


  • Individuals can import 1 vehicle every 3 years.
  • Individuals must personally do everything without assistance from a Register Dealer.
  • Vehicle cannot be more than 4 years old.
  • Vehicle cannot have diesel engine.
  • Must have Deregistration Certificate.
  • Deregistration Certificate must have Engine and Chassis numbers that match the vehicle's.
  • Deregistration Certifcate must have age by manufacturing date.
  • Deregistration Certificate must have mileage for vehicle imported for retail.
  • Must be structurely sound and meet enviornment standards.
  • Must have Ozone-Friendly AC.
  • Prior registration, vehicle must be roadworthy.
  • Dealers must put in government specified minimum Terms and Conditions into written sales agreement in the case of selling import.
  • All must have a Import License for Used Right Hand Drive Vehicles.
  • If you are importing commercial goods, you must hire a Customs Broker to fill out the required documentation.
Go To Top


Duty and Taxes
Licencing Fees
Bond (for Commercial Importers)

Go To Top


For all importers:

  • Customs Declaration Form (C82 Form) x four copies
  • CARICOM Area Invoice
  • Supplier’s Invoice
  • Bill of Lading
  • Import Licence
  • Certificate of Origin
  • Deregistration Certificate
  • T&T Passport, D.P., I.D. (For Personal Use) -or-
  • B.I.R. No. (For Trade)

For professional importers only:

  • C75 or C76 Form for continuous trading
  • For registration as "Importer of used RHD motor vehicles for Retail Trade":
    • Application
    • Company Registration Certificate
    • Vat Registration Certificate
    • Board of Inland Revenue (BIR) Certificate
    • National Insurance Board Registration Certificate
    • Documentary Evidence of Bond
Go To Top


All who want to import used RHD vehicles will be required to apply for an Import Licence. To get a Import Licence, you must pass all points in the WHAT YOU CAN IMPORT section above and have all REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. Companies must also complete all additional requirements.


For individuals, simply fill out the Import Licence form as soon as you can and submit to the Trade Licence Unit. Note: You will need to know the (if any) refrigerant gasses and the fire extinguisher's chemical when applying. Once you fill in the application and make two copies, they will ask you For your ID. You will then be given the original and copies stamped which you will need later to receive your Import Licence. You may be asked to come to an interview before they will give you a license.

Taking your Import License along with the other REQUIRED DOCUMENTS to the Customs and Excise Office. Submit your four (4) copies of C82 Form (Customs Declaration Form) with the supporting documents to the Customs Officer for review. The officer will sign a copy of the C82 Form and give you an Assessment on how much duty and taxes you must pay. You will also be returned you other documents.

Take the Assessment and C82 Forms to the Customs' Cashier and pay your dues. You will be given a receipt which you must present when clearing the vehicle(s) along with the other documents you have used at the Import/Export Station. Once cleared, you can being the registration process as normal which includes passing roadworthiness tests.


Commercial Importers must register with the Ministry of Trade and Industry as "Importer of used RHD motor vehicles for Retail Trade". You cannot import more than 1 vehicle in three years without registering as a Importer for Retail Trade.

To register, bring mention documents for such registraton as mentioned in REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. Additionally, there are other requirements:

  • Importer must enter into a standardized Sales Contract with the buyer which will include the following:
    1. Posting of a Bond with a Financial Agency in the sum of TT $250,000. The Bond must be renewed annually and be maintained at the level of TT $250,000.
    2. A Standardized Warranty
    3. An undertaking to source and supply the required replacement parts within the warranty period
  • Physical Requirements
    • Office area with office equipment including Computer
    • Waiting area with accommodation
    • Showroom (storage area)
    • Garage facilities or evidence of a Joint Venture Agreement to provide the service
    • Minimum requirement for Garage (Owned or Joint Venture) · Hoist, lift or ramp, tools, buffing equipment, mechanic
    • Staff

Also, make sure each vehicle imported passes qualifications mentioned in WHAT YOU CAN IMPORT.

Once you are registered as an Importer for Retail Trade, you can proceed to import as for Individuals. Note, you may have to hire a Customs Broker to fill out required documentation for commerical goods.

Go To Top


Import Licences
   Import Licence Application
   Importer of Used RHD Cars For Retail Trade Application
TT Connect - Import Info

Go To Top
Return to Latin America and the Caribbeans